Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Joys of Moving... Internationally (Part 2)


Okay, more pictures this time!  We move into our own house this afternoon, and we are very excited!!!  There is still a lot to be done and a lot more to be bought, but we have thoroughly enjoyed our beginnings. One thing I've observed:  The customer service here is amazing!!  Whether looking at the most expensive of household appliances or just picking up a can of hairspray, store employees always greet us, ask what we are looking for, and then show us exactly where to find it.  Then they proceed to describe each type of the item and differences between brands, etc, making recommendations of what they feel would be best for our situation.  Once we choose the item we want, they then take it to the check-out counter for us and hold it while we look at other items.  When it's time to check out, everything is waiting for us at the counter and we just have to pay.  Now, with things like furniture or kitchen appliances, I love this system!  But hairspray or toothpaste, well, some things I think I can figure out on my own. :)  (Two exceptions I've found are grocery stores and 1 shopping center that is probably comparable to Walmart.)

Now, on to the fun stuff!!  PICTURES! :)  I recognize this is not the best picture to see Tiago or Elissa, but my main goal was to show the stairway.  It just happened to be Lissie's first place to explore.  I'm not sure what material the steps (and counters) are actually made out of, but they are definitely some sort of stone, maybe granite... or maybe something cheaper...

Here is one view of our kitchen.  The funky-shaped door on the left is our churrasco (barbecue). 

And now we have... a Microwave!!!

This is our bedroom with our lovely, soft bed.  (Apparently in this area, most people prefer to buy firmer beds.  We got some funny looks when we asked for something softer and with springs in it.)  Not much else in here yet, besides a few clothes we brought with us.  



 Of course what grandchild can move closer to grandparents without some spoiling?! :)  Lissie had several nice gifts waiting, which have made great additions to our home!




    
Our living room is HUGE!!!  Actually all of the rooms on the lower level feel bigger than they really are, because the ceilings are so high.  We've estimated they are close to 10 feet!  No sofa yet, but hopefully that will be our next purchase. :)  Oh and I've decided the front doors were mainly just for show, since 90% of the time we enter through the garage.  

     Here is our new TV, which is bigger than we originally planned on buying.  It is a 40-inch LED screen, I think.  Tiago had budgeted a certain amount for a 32-inch, according to prices he had seen online.  Then when we went to a furniture store, this one was on sale for less than the 32-inch ones we saw.  It was too good to pass up, and while we were in the process of buying it, a store clerk walked out and took away the sale price tag!  It seems we were just in time. :)

     Okay, I know it's weird to post a picture of keys, but look at these keys!  These are our house keys.  I've just never seen keys made by drilling holes into them like this.  Just one of those things I thought everyone should see... :)

     And another thing I have just recently been introduced to:  a washer AND dryer, all in one machine! (Has anyone seen this in the US?)  Unfortunately the cost was about the same as buying both separately, but since we had limited space in our "service room", and I DO NOT want to do laundry by hand, we now own this lovely piece of equipment. :)

     Our house still does not quite feel like home; we still have a lot of decorating to do!  But we already love it and are excited to finally be in a place that will most likely not blow away in the event of a tornado. :)  

7 comments:

Brandy on January 18, 2011 at 7:51 PM said...

Very cool! What a step up from Wise :)

I've found that a place feels like home for me when I hang things on the walls. Hope you can make it feel like home soon!

M on January 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM said...

Jennifer I was going to buy a combo washer and dryer in the US then I changed my mind. Hopefully you will not have a problem with drying, the brands that I was looking at in the US had problems.

The Zwahlens on January 19, 2011 at 10:22 AM said...

Wow, you guys are so brave! I'm glad I can check up you now via blog. We were just talking about you guys last night and were hoping you weren't affected by the flooding. Glad to see that things are going great!

Lori Black Fullmer on January 19, 2011 at 11:18 AM said...

Not weird at all that you posted pictures of the keys. Those are cool looking!

Interesting washer and dryer thing. I've not heard of that (of course I've not looked at washer and dryers in forever, but combo - I want, I want, I want!!!!). You should tell us all how that works out. If it's better this way or better separate. I would certainly not mind more room in my laundry room.

Looks like a gorgeous home! You should post more pictures when you've got it all decorated and such.

Stacy and Josh Tyhurst on January 19, 2011 at 3:00 PM said...

how exciting! Everything is starting to come together!!

gleehorse on January 23, 2011 at 9:20 AM said...

Thanks for sharing the pics! That's awesome about the TV. :) I had seen the washer/dryer combo online...let me know what you think of it. :) The house looks pretty nice! :):)

Unknown on January 23, 2011 at 1:05 PM said...

So I like the combo washer/dryer so far... mainly because it means I don't have to do laundry by hand. :) And it is fine for a small family, I've decided. (or one that does not have much space for washer and dryer both). It's smaller and doesn't wash as big of batches as a regular washer, and the drying part takes a long time. So far I do about 1 batch each day, as it takes about 3-4 hours per load, total. But it does have a lot of fancy options, including one specifically for washing baby clothes.

So, there ya go, for anyone curious. :)

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Templates